Recipe Review: Poor Simon, I keep making things with Tahini forgetting he doesn't really like it and now he's officially Tahini tapped out, oops! But for all those like me who like Tahini then I recommend giving this a whirl.
Cooking time: 30 – 40 minutes Serves: 2 - 4
Preheat oven: 220°C / 425°F
- 1 large eggplant, ends sliced off and discarded, diced into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups of eggplant)
- ¼ cup neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil)*
- Coarse sea salt
- ½ cup Yoghurt-Tahini dressing (see recipe here)
- 1 Tbsp date molasses (or you can substitute regular molasses or very rich, dark honey) **
- Leaves from two 5-inch sprigs of mint, roughly chopped
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the eggplant on the prepared pan and drizzle it with the oil. Sprinkle the eggplant with a generous amount of salt and use your hands to toss it all together.
2. Roast the eggplant, stirring now and then, until softened and lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Transfer the eggplant to a platter. Drizzle it with the Yoghurt-Tahnini dressing and then with the date molasses and scatter the chopped mint over the top.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature
*I just used extra virgin olive oil
** I used some raw chestnut honey. I look forward to trying it with something with more oomph like molasses next time.
Next time I would also cook the eggplant a little longer to make it more browned and a little softer.