Recipe Review: We highly enjoyed these. I will definitely be making these again!
Cooking time: >60 minutes Serves: 12 – 14 bars
Preheat oven: 180°C / 350°F
- 2 cups quinoa flakes
- 1 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped*
- 1/2 cup carob or chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- melted chocolate (optional), for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the quinoa flakes, cashews and sunflower seeds and toast for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Place in a large bowl and allow to cool slightly. Add in flax seeds, chia seeds, dried cherries and chocolate chips.
3. In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil. Add almond butter, applesauce and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low. Cook for 3 minutes and stir in vanilla and sea salt. Pour mixture over dry ingredients.
4. Transfer mixture to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press into a rectangle. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and then place into refrigerator until firm. Cut into desired shape. Drizzle with chocolate if desired.
*I didn't have any dried cherries so I used goji berries.