Recipe Review: This is a great spring recipe for nights when it's still a bit cool but light enough to reflect the change in season. I don't cook with polenta very often so I was pleased with the results.
Cooking time: 15 – 45 minutes Serves: 2
Preheat oven: Stove top only
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup polenta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 30 g cream cheese
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced fresh fennel
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp lemon zest
1. In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Pour in polenta and turn the heat down to the lowest heat possible. Cook, stirring polenta occasionally, for 15 minutes (easy/done) to 30 minutes (longer/better flavour).*
2. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, cream cheese, milk, sea salt, and black pepper. Let sit while cheese and butter melt.
3. In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir in the diced fennel, and cook until tender and fragrant, 4-5 minutes. Add peas, cooking for another 2-3 minutes until hot.
4. Remove from heat and toss cooked vegetables with parsley, sliced almonds, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
5. Divide polenta into two bowls and top with pea mixture.
*My stove doesn't really go that low so I only cooked mine for the 15 minutes. It was starting to stick to the bottom so I didn't want to risk burning.