Recipe Review: I'm really beginning to like this raw dessert world. I'd never made a raw dessert before my I Quit Sugar journey began. The first one I ever tried was the Choc Mint Superfood Balls from Mind Body Green and I have been branching out ever since we finished our 8 week program. This is my new favourite, every bite indulgent! This is definitely a sometimes treat.
Cooking time: 10 – 20 minutes plus chilling time Serves: 12 – 20 depending on size
Preheat oven: No cooking required
For the base
- 1 cup coconut chunks/shreds
- 3/4 cup raw oats (or almonds)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/8 cup melted coconut oil
For the topping
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder (I added 2 extra Tbsp of cacao cause I like it chocolatey)
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (I used Rice Bran Syrup instead*)
1. Throw all the ingredients for the base in your food processor and pulse until you can press it together. If it's too dry, add some dates or peanut butter.
2. Press into lined cupcake tins, leaving just a little bit of room on the top to pour the chocolate on
3. In a small to medium saucepan melt coconut oil, remove from heat then combine the cacao powder and maple/rice malt syrup.
4. Now pour the chocolate onto the bases and decorate with nuts if you like. Put them in the fridge overnight. "I sprinkled some sea salt on top, 'cause it's pretty and stuff." - TRVL
The reason I decided to combine the two was that the chocolate recipe from This Raw Vegan Life required ingredients I didn't have and would have go to Amsterdam to buy.
*The reason I used rice malt syrup in the topping was to lessen the sweetness. I thought if there was already maple syrup in the base it would be super dooper sweet with maple syrup in the topping as well. I think I made a good decision as this combination was delicious!