Recipe Review: I can't even remember how I came across this recipe but given I had just made a batch of homemade sugar-free Nutella I needed to make it! On a cold winters night... Bliss!
Cooking time: 5 – 10 minutes Serves: 1
Preheat oven: Microwave only
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar (or granulated stevia)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp finely chopped pecans, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, optional
- Pinch nutmeg, optional
- 1 tbsp Nutella, or any chocolate-hazelnut spread, plus more to garnish
1. In a 325ml (12-ounce) or larger mug, whisk together the milk, olive oil, and sugar. Whisk in the flour until smooth, then whisk in the oats, pecans, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and nutmeg, if using.
2. Dollop the Nutella on top and push in gently so it is partially submerged in the cake batter.
3. Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds, and then in 15-second bursts until the top looks dry and cooked and springs back when pressed with a finger.
4. Let stand for 2 - 5 minutes before eating, as the cake and Nutella center will be quite hot.
5. Top with additional Nutella if feeling indulgent!
- The nuts can be left out, although I do like their nuttiness in this cake.
- Substitute peanut butter, almond butter, or a spoonful of cooked fruit such as apples or rhubarb for the Nutella.
- Note that your finished mug cake will probably not come up to the lip of the cup as here. After testing I made a double batch in the mugs pictured here to make it easier to photograph and display the texture.
No suggestions needed.