Recipe Review: I really like Tahini but Simon doesn't so this was a win-lose dressing. I'm sharing it for all those who like tahini and/or are looking for a new interesting dressing
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes Serves: 2 - 4
Preheat oven: N/A
- 1 large head of romaine or 3 heads of little gem lettuce, chopped*
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and diced**
- 1/3 red onion, very thinly sliced or shaved on a mandolin
For the Dressing
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup boiling water
- ½ small garlic clove, finely minced***
- ½ cup plain sheep's or goat's milk yoghurt or Vegenaise
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
1. Make dressing – Whisk the tahina and water together until completely smooth. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. That's it.
Note: Keeps well in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.
2. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and stir to combine with ¼ cup of the dressing so its just lightly coated. Divide into plates or a large platter.
3. Over the lettuce, evenly scatter the tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Drizzle each portion with another tablespoon or two of the dressing immediately.
4. Serve with the remaining dressing, in a jar/jug on the table for those guests who may like their salad more heavily dressed.
* I used a medium-large butter lettuce
** I never bother peeling my cucumber unless I'm doing so for the sake of presentation (even in their photo it's not peeled so not sure why they suggested it)
*** ½? Small? Come on people put a whole big garlic in! J
We added in some finely sliced fennel and ½ a chopped apple.