Recipe Review: We really miss a good ole BBQ Roast Chicken. They're just not as readily available here like they are in Australia. However, if you want herring, well that's another story! This was only my second ever attempt at making a roast chicken and I was pretty happy with it.
Cooking time: >60 (depends on size of chicken) Serves: varies
Preheat oven: 180°C / 350°F
- ¼ cup of macadamia nut oil*
- 1 tablespoon of rice malt syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, mix the ingredients together until well combined.
2. Baste your chicken all over with half of the mix.
3. Place your chicken breast side up in a preheated oven or on a rotisserie if you have one.
4. After 30 minutes of cooking, remove from the oven and baste again with the remaining marinade.
5. Return to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked to perfection.
6. The time this takes will vary depending upon the size of your chicken, but work off 30 minutes per 500gram at 180 degrees Celsius.
7. Once cooked, rest the chicken for 5-10 minutes uncovered, then carve and enjoy!
Replace the macadamia nut oil with melted butter.
Choose the rice malt syrup.
Add lots of vegetables and also slices of lemon to your roasting dish too. You might also like to stuff your chook? I personally keep it quick and simple and wedge lemon pieces and any herbs I can rummage from my herb garden.
Toni messaged me on Facebook to say she had slow cooked this with a 10/10 husband and kids rated result! She cooked it for 8 hours on low, basting it with the marinade every 2-3 hours with great success. A great option if you like to slow cook!
* I didn't have any macadamia oil so just used olive oil