Recipe Review: As soon as I saw this recipe I knew it would be for us. Simon loves Fennel and all things aniseed-y. It was delish!
Cooking time: 40 – 50 minutes Serves: 4 - 6
Preheat oven: Stove top only
- 2 large fennel bulbs, sliced (reserve the leaves for garnish)
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp fennel seeds (or mixture of fennel, anise seeds or ground liquorice root)
- Splash of apple cider vinegar (or white wine)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red potatoes, chopped (or cup of leftover rice)
- Yoghurt (or sour cream or parmesan shavings) to serve
- 4 slices pancetta
- Salt & pepper
1. In a big pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the fennel and leeks until soft then add the seeds. Add the apple cider vinegar in, stir a little, and pour in the stock. Bring to the boil. Add garlic and potatoes, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Blend with stab mixer or blender in batches.
3. Fry or grill pancetta, let cool, then crumble
4. Serve the soup with a dollop of yoghurt, sour cream or parmesan shavings. Sprinkle pancetta and snipped fennel leaves. Serve immediately.
Perfect as is!
Simon's only complaint is that fennel over here isn't as flavourful as back home so I made sure to include the whole fennel including green tops, still keeping the leaves separate for serving.