Recipe Review: I originally made this for breakfast as we were enjoying the vanilla chia puddings. However, I nearly died from the decadence first thing in the morning, so this quickly became an evening treat instead served in small portions!
Cooking time: 10 – 15 minutes Serves: 4 - 6
Preheat oven: Stove top only
- 1 14 oz (400 ml) can of coconut milk
- 2 oz (~50 g) of your favourite dark chocolate (85% or higher), chopped
- 1 Tbsp good quality cocoa powder
- 5-6 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, chopped dark chocolate and cocoa powder.
2. Warm the milk until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds and vanilla extract. [Hint: add the chia seeds while stirring continuously or else they will stick to the bottom of the pan in one big gelatinous lump. Not cool.]
3. Stir thoroughly until the chia seeds begin to thicken the mixture a bit.
4. Pour into small serving cups and refrigerate for at least an hour until the mixture is very thick.
5. Top with shaved dark chocolate or coconut whipped cream.
We didn't serve this with the suggestion in step 5. We tried it sprinkled with any of the following or a mixture of a few; chopped pistachios, raspberries, ground cinnamon or ground cardamom