Recipe Review: I was excited to make these, the flavours sounded delicious and I've never made my own mince meat before. They were a little messy and hands on to make, as with any hand rolled recipe. The house smelled divine as they were cooking.
Cooking time: 15 – 45 minutes Serves: 24 balls
Preheat oven: Stove top only
- 680g boneless skinless chicken (Mark's Daily Apple uses half thigh, half breast to yield a moist meatball that holds together well)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a handful of cilantro or parsley (I skipped this)
- several Tbsp oil (for frying)
1. Put everything except the oil in the food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Using your hands form small meatballs, approximately 24 (smaller balls cook quicker).
3. Heat several tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot enough so that a meatball sizzles as soon as it hits the pan, put all the meatballs in (you might have to cook these in batches). Cook for two minutes then roll the meatballs over and cook for five minutes more. Put a lid on the pan and finish cooking for another 6-8 minutes.
4. Serve immediately
These are in the breakfast section of the cookbook but we had them for dinner with a big side salad.
There were enough balls for two left-over lunches!