Recipe Review: This is a super dooper easy recipe and you can use anything green you have lying in the fridge (broccoli, zucchini, celery, spinach). This recipe calls for cheddar cheese to be added. Two things; one, cheddar is impossible to find here, two, it's a really rich soup without it.
Cooking time: 15 – 25 minutes Serves: 6 - 8
Preheat oven: Stove top only
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee or butter
- 6 cups roughly chopped vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, celery – whatever you have)
- 1 litre vegetable stock or chicken stock (buy her book for Basic Chicken stock recipe)
- 1 cup rocket or watercress (optional)
- 1 cup roughly chopped coriander, basil or flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup crumbled sharp cheddar
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in coconut oil.
2. Add the green vegetables and stir for a minute, then pour over the stock and bring to boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the rocket, herbs and salt.
5. Turn off the heat and puree until smooth using a stick blender, or transfer to a blender and pulse in batches.
6. Whisk in the lemon juice and stir through the cheese.
I think this soup is tasty without the cheese but if you have some available try it with it.