Recipe Review: We both really enjoyed the original tempeh burritos we made. I had another craving for tempeh, but wasn't in the mood for much effort so I made a cheat's version using a pre-packed taco spice mix (pictured above, I had a craving for taco flavour) and other taco inspired ingredients. I think tempeh is my friend now.
Cooking time: 10 -20 minutes Serves: 6
Preheat oven: 150°c
- 1 packet tempeh
- 1 sachet taco spice mix
- 1 packet burritos
- 1 jar taco hot sauce
- 1 iceberg lettuce (thinly sliced/grated)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp of your preferred cooking oil
1. Heat oil on low heat in frypan. Start tearing the tempeh into small pieces straight into the pan. Once all torn turn up to medium to high heat and stir frequently until golden brown.
3. Mash the avocado with the lime juice in a medium bowl.
4. Warm the burritos (a couple at a time as needed) in the oven
5. Serve – build your own burrito
These were pretty good! Not quite the same as beef tacos, but still gave me the fix I was looking for.