Recipe Review: My favourite and Simon's second favourite muffin recipe of the moment (Simon likes the 5-spice Sweet Potato muffins best).
Cooking time: 35 – 45 minutes Serves: 12 muffins
Preheat oven: 200°c / 400°f
- 2 cups gluten-free flour plus 1 tbsp (if the flour doesn't include xanthan gum, add 1 tsp)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup good-quality maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup pitted and chopped fresh or dried dates (about 6 large dates)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped pumpkin seeds, plus 3 tbsp for the tops of the muffins
1. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper liners or use your preferred method (silicone etc)
2. Whisk together the 2 cups of flour, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the bananas, olive oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla.
4. Thoroughly combine the dry and wet ingredients.
5. Toss the dates and the ¼ cup of chopped pumpkin seeds with the extra tbsp of flour, (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins) and fold them into the batter with a rubber spatula.
6. Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups and sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of the extra pumpkin seeds.
7. Bake until the muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
None... absolutely none. They are divine, comforting, yum!